Actions and Announcements: Recommendations 14 & 15
Proposed Voluntary Commerce Trusted Trader Program
In 2018, NOAA Fisheries announced a proposed rule to establish a voluntary Commerce Trusted
Trader Program for U.S. importers –a valuable complement to the U.S.
Seafood Import Monitoring Program (SIMP).
SIMP established permitting, data reporting and recordkeeping requirements for the importation of certain priority fish and fish products that have been identified as being particularly vulnerable to illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing and/or seafood fraud. SIMP provides the federal government the information needed to prevent illegally caught and/or misrepresented seafood from entering the U.S. market.
The Commerce Trusted Trader Program is designed to maintain the effectiveness of SIMP in achieving these objectives while streamlining the reporting and recordkeeping requirements for U.S. importers who commit to establishing internal traceability and auditing measures. It is intended to reduce costs to both the government and industry, and streamline processing of import entries.
NOAA Fisheries sought public and seafood industry input and guidance regarding the extent to which the Commerce Trusted Trader Program as proposed is likely to achieve the objectives of preventing illegally caught and/or misrepresented seafood from entering the U.S. market; establish secure seafood supply chains; reduce costs to both the government and industry; and streamline processing of import entries. The deadline to submit public comments on this proposed rule was March 19, 2018.
Past listening sessions on the design of the Commerce Trusted Trader Program:
- March 12, 2018, Seafood Expo North America, Boston, Mass.
- February 28, 2018, 3:00pm Eastern, Webinar - Proposed Rule to Establish a Commerce Trusted Trader Program
- February 15, 2018, 10:00am Eastern, Presentation (PDF)
- June 6, 2016, 2:30 PM Eastern Time: Presentation (PDF) Audio Transcript (PDF)
- May 10, 2016, 2:00 PM Eastern Time: Presentation (PDF) Audio Transcript (PDF)
- May 4, 2016, 2:00 PM Eastern Time: Presentation (PDF) Audio Transcript (PDF)